Monday 5 January 2015

TRAVEL 101

Here is a list of tips that I personally find useful to do before, during and after a trip that maximized my travel experience. This list has also helped me to understand the local cultures and lifestyle of my travel destination. 

Before going on a trip:

1) Visa requirement.
Check if you need to apply for a VISA to the country you're going to before travelling there or it'll cause you troubles with the immigration there! This is a must-do.
2) Learn the local language.
If the country you are going to speaks another language other than English, I would recommend learning some simple phrases before going, which will help you to communicate with the locals there, especially for bargaining. Although I find that people spoke at least basic English in most of the countries I've visited so far, I think it is still very useful to learn the language of the destination I travel to. It will help with understanding the local cultures and lifestyle more.  
Suggested phrases:
  • Hello/ greetings such as good morning, good evening
  • Thank you
  • Goodbye
  • How much is it?
  • Can it be cheaper?
  • Can you take me to...?
  • How far is it from here to...? 
  •  Numbers from 1-100
3) Research your destination before going.
I usually google/ wiki about the country that I'm going to in order to learn more about their customs, culture, what the place look like etc. so I can have an idea of what the place is like and what to expect. In addition, googling gives me an idea of  what the weather will be like and the suitable clothing I should pack for my trip. For example, there are strict rules of what can be worn at a Holy Place in Israel, for example when I was visiting the wailing wall, I could not wear anything too short or expose too much skin, my pants must cover my knees. 
I also find it useful to look the place up on:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ 
or 
other sites equivalent for ideas to where to go, what to do in my travel destination, the type of food I need to try whilst I'm there, etc. Websites such as lonely planet also give you reviews of the place you're going to, insights on what some travelers enjoy or not enjoy. It also give you advice of things to be aware of while in the country.
4) Have a packing list.
Yes I am a list kind of girl but I find it so so useful. Lists help me to remember what to bring and what not to bring. Packing could sometimes get overwhelming, especially when I am packing for a long trip, so using a list has helped me focus on what I need to bring instead of what I want to bring. Click here for my suggested packing list. 
5) Check if you need to have vaccines.
There is a chance of required vaccine for the specific place you travel to because there might be diseases prone to affect you. For example: If you live in European countries and want to travel to India, there might be a higher risk for you to get malaria because your body might be unfamiliar with the disease, so it might be safer to get a vaccine to prevent that beforehand.  
6) Check the weather forecast.
It is so important to check the weather forecast of the place you're travelling to in order to get an idea of what type of clothing to pack. You don't want to bring clothes that doesn't keep you warm enough in cold climates or vice versa.
7) Buy a travel insurance.
It is better to be safe than sorry right? If you get sick and need to go to the hospital or your possessions get stolen, at least you can get some compensation for your loss. I find that I am more prone to get sick when I am travelling and the last thing I want is to be stranded and have nowhere to go. So I'd say it's better to to have a travel insurance just to ease my mind.
8) Write a bucket list.
I like to write a bucket list of the things I want to do in the country I am visiting, that way I could maximize my experience during my stay and do fun things that I enjoy.
Taken in Fiji- sunset at a beach
During the trip: 
1) Be positive.
 It is essential for travelers to have a positive attitude and open mind to the place they are travelling to. I enjoy myself much more when I have an open mind to try new things that I come across, instead of thinking negatively.

2)Try New things!
I could not stress this enough. You're travelling to another country because you want to try new things, new cultures right? Trying new things means getting out of your comfort zone, of the things you're use to. You'll enjoy the new things more when you have an open mind. 

3) Homesick?
Sometimes when I'm in a new country, the unfamiliar place could overwhelm me and I could get a bit homesick. Travelling to a new place does not mean you will have to try everything immediately, it takes time to get use to the food, water etc. there. I find it useful to eat something that I'm familiar with at least one meal per day for 2- 3 days at the country I travelled to in order for me to adjust my stomach to the food there. I've learnt from experience that if I try to adapt to the local's diet immediately, I will get ill easily because of the overwhelming amount of unfamiliar food.

4) Don't be afraid to ask!
I like to ask the locals about the places I'm visiting to learn more about the history of the place or what I need to look out for. Many of them give me good advice of what to do, the cheapest and fastest ways to get to places I'm visiting or tips like specific food I should try. I also get to learn more about the people and their lifestyle by talking to them. 

After the trip:
1)Record your experience in the ways you like best
This is a tip for during and after the trip really. I like to take photos, draw and write down the things I've experience  and the places I went during my travel.

2) Tell others about your trip.
Storytelling is a good way to help you to remember your trip and to think about what you like/ didn't like about the trip. Others may ask questions that you have never thought of about the trip before, which is a good way to help you evaluate your travel experience.There's nothing wrong with showing off sometimes. 


Taken in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan at an Art Exhibition
All photographs are taken by Esther Mok.

Click here to my Travel list post. 
SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Esther Mok | All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig